Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Flex - Ability

In order to kick this off in the most appropriate way, allow me to explain what I'm doing here. The purpose of this blog is to force me to take the time to journal the experiences of the EPIC road trip I'm about to embark on with the family - you'll meet them later.... Much time and effort has gone into planning and preparing for this trip, and yet as I sit here in the middle of the night, I'm uncertain it will ever happen. The intended road trip vehicle is currently inoperable, and is destined for the shop in a few hours. While we desperately work up a "plan b", it's becoming harder and harder not to have the plans choked off by disappointment.

So, why this trip? Most of my 31 years have been consumed with defining myself by what I have and what I do. Correction - defining myself by obtaining what I don't have, and striving to accomplish what I haven't yet done. Since losing my job exactly 90 days ago, much of who I thought I was vanished rapidly. Consequently, it's time for a new definition... So I am choosing to pack my wife and 2 and 8/9ths children into some sort of vehicle, and drive across the country just because I can.

So, why this trip? It is essentially a chance to experience life in a new setting, enjoying the passing of time with the people and things of creation. There's a story here somewhere: A family looking for purpose and an increased awareness of possibility? A man apprehensively walking a road in a search for refreshed connection with the one who leads him? I'm going to meet my mother for the very first time. There's a story here somewhere...

No comments: