Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Birthmom

She tried to shake my hand. Can you believe that? A reunion 31 years in the making, and she's gonna kick it off with a handshake. I wasn't having any of that. I hugged her.

For 31 years, I have imagined this mythical figure known only as "Birthmom". Birthmom was this lady who, in her infinite wisdom made the most difficult choice to give up her child for adoption. Somehow she knew that the mere possibility of me having a better life without her was enough to make that decision. Sure there were "circumstances" influencing her at 18 years old, but I have to say, all things considered, not bad. Not bad at all.

Birthmom's name is Nell. She's short, and has dark skin like me. She kinda looks like me. She's bossy like a mother should be. She's sarcastic like me. She's afraid of ducks.

We stood in the mirror for what seemed like an hour, comparing features. I'm not good at that game and I kept getting in trouble for my lack of participation. All I wanted to know is where the heck did my tiny ears come from? She wasn't much help on that.



How cool is this?


So there you have it. It's still sinking in, and I'm still not sure how I feel. Yep, I'm happy. There isn't any more mystery to my origin. "Birthmom" is real. Nell is real. I don't know her that well, but I miss her already. I really do.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beej, I'm proud of you for stepping out and going for it! It's a great thing for you to have met your mom. I'm sure she is relieved to have experienced that moment too. Enjoy the rest of your trip... love you brother!
--Kenny

Bonnie sayers said...

I am also a birthmom (11/22/78) how long were you searching, do you have a post that covers that part? I have yet to find the son I gave up in NJ. At the time I was about to do a search or letter for his file I got news that my son had autism and had to make a choice and devote time to that.

He will be 30 in less than two months and I wonder if he has married and any kids.